Every year towards the end of August a formation of white tents is erected in the parking lot next to McCormick & Schmick’s to hold Savor Pittsburgh, a fund raiser for the American Respiratory Alliance. Under these tents more than twenty local restaurants compete for “Dish of the year.” A live band plays while the crowds enjoy some of the best culinary examples this city has to offer.
This year I was under one of the coolest tents, the culinary judges’ tent. It was a pleasure and honor to be chosen and I had a great time.
Events like this are always a great opportunity for me to see many of my colleagues and friends. And with all these great people around and excellent food, who can ask for more? For this occasion my wife, Laura, was able to come. She has not been able to get out of the house much lately since the twins were born. And yes, the twins were there also. They are a little young to enjoy any of this food yet–8 weeks old, but soon enough.
But, going back my main focus of the night, the food–1300 people had a chance to savor anything from meatballs to satays. And at the end of the night after all the votes were tallied the results were:
- Best Appetizer: SAVOY Restaurant and Lounge with the SAVOY Satay
- Best Entree: Tusca Global Tapas with the Pepper Pork Mignon, Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Apple Creme Fraiche
- Best Dessert: Tree Tops Restaurant with the Praline and Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Praline Sauce and Candied Pecans
- People’s Choice: McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant, SouthSide Works
- Dish of the Year: Tree Tops Restaurant with the Praline and Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Praline Sauce and Candied Pecans
I’m already looking forward to next years’ Savor Pittsburgh. I recommend it to everyone!